Friday 13 October 2017

Richard Diebenkorn

A long time ago in another lifetime whilst I was in the USA I was fortunate enough to attend an exhibition of the work of Richard Diebenkorn.

I remember it vividly as like most British youngsters of that time I had been brought up on a diet of more traditional representational art and the pure size of the work and the workmanship which had gone into the paint and surfaces was altogether a very different art to the normal diet available to view in rural England at the time.



In 2015 some thirty five years later I was able to view his work again thanks to The Royal Academy Exhibition - it did not disappoint. For those who would like to find out more please click below - this will take you to the Richard Diebenkorn Foundation website.


Richard Witham - The Diebenkorn Years!


For those who know me and my artwork then you will know that being self-taught I have unashamedly over past 8 years copied the work of my favourite artists as a way of learning and developing my ability.

Circa 2009 and 20+ years after having last seen a Diebenkorn in the flesh I decided to attempt his style using large canvas and a mixture of painting - sanding back and painting. I was pleased that all but one of the 10 works found a home [we kept one for ourselves!] and that 6 of them found homes in the USA!!

Here is a short archive of the work.


Coco Beach Series No's 1 - 2 - 3



Coco Beach Series No 5 - set in floating frame



Coco Beach Series No 6 - detail below





Coco Beach Series 7



Coco Beach Series 9



Coco Beach Series 10 - with detail below currently in the care of the artist's Wife!!




For more information please feel free to contact me 


1 comment: